Autumn leaves

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

Canon 7d II; 100/400; 5.6; 1/1250th; 400 iso.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

A great choice for this week’s challenge in my opinion.

Hi Jim! I love the backlight of the orange leaves. Great color and very interesting shapes to explore in the shadows of the other leaves. The sunlight from the side/top makes for attractive lighting. If I may offer a constructive artistic critique, however, my eye is nearly immediately drawn into the corner and out of the frame by the bright green edge of the other leaf, and the curve of the branch on the top. In my opinion, the orange leaves bring enough interest to the image that the other parts could be subtracted or darkened, and the image simplified. But I really like the lighting and isolation of the subject overall- I haven’t seen autumn leaf photos like this before and I quite like it.

Igor and Drew: Thanks for the comments. Drew, I agree with your assessment re: twig and green leaf. Before i posted it, my attempts to remove them resulted in an unacceptable photo.

Jim, the lighting here is delightful. I actually like the contrast that the green bit adds to the view. The green/gold tension adds a bit of drama. I could see playing with that tension by cropping from the lower left corner to move the gold leave further down and left in the frame. I have changed the tag to this week’s theme, shadow patterns.