Back Lit Egret

This is the first time I tried shooting back lit - need more practice - head angle could be higher - he wouldn’t listen :slight_smile:

Thanks for feedback @Allen_Sparks, @David_Schoen, @David_Leroy - All 3 think the shaded part of the egret is too blue - it is in the shade and should be a little blue perhaps ?
This new edit I have tried to address that some but increased the contrast between the bird and background to make it stand out more

What technical feedback would you like if any?

any combo of the bird / surrounding lighting ?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
1/4000 sec, ISO 800, f 7.1
D850 / 850 mm

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Excellent flying position and the backlit wings are well done. Perhaps a vignette would lessen the effect of the brownish orange background as a distraction. Although this is a difficult exposure, I find there is way too much of a blue cast on the white plumage. I think using the desaturation brush judiciously would improve this image considerably.

Really nice detail showing thru from the back lighting. I see what you mean by head could have been a bit higher but it is still a very fine pose. I dont mind the bit of color in bg. I might try warming it up a bit and even look at a 16/10 or 16/9 crop and take some off bottom. I also like the suggestion of taking some of the blue out of whites. A really nice shot.

Hi Karl, nice backlit shot with the light really coming through on the lower wings. I like the open bill. Well composed too. Agree about the blue cast. The background is fine with me.