Banding

What causes banding in digital images? I frequently find magenta and cyan banding in the skies and sometimes other places. Is there a way to avoid it? Is there any software that does a good job of removing it?

This image was taken with a Nikon D 850, iso-31, F 18, 24-120 mm at roughly 100 mm, 50th of the second, tripod.

The raw file does not look a whole lot different other than that it is in color. I will include it just for comparison sake.

Yes it was very foggy and I realize that diffraction from the fog can cause this. I converted this one to black-and-white primarily because I could not remove the colors regardless of trying to desaturate the individual banded colors. I have tried using Topaz De noise 6 and the feature to remove banding but it does nothing to work very well. I would sure like to hear some good suggestions about this.

Have you tried adding grain to the areas with banding? That can help to smooth out tonal transitions.

Otherwise I’d experiment with curves adjustments and mask in contrast reductions.

If that doesn’t work I’d use the clone stamp tool with the blend mode on Color to manually fix the banding

1 Like

I do not see the bands on my computer. I use a graphics card capable of interpolating 10 bit graphics. …Jim