Bee in the Green & repost

Description: In the McDonald Dunn Forest there were a bunch of Hover-bees/flys , I’m not sure which, so I worked on trying to get in the action! I love watching them! It took awhile to get them in the right position to face me and not shoot right in the sun!

Specific Feedback Requested: any, I have posted this photo before and Mark said it would work for the small weekly challenge, so I guess it’s OK to post again?

Pertinent technical details or techniques: 102mm

1/3200
f/6.3
ISO 3200
Square crop and had to try to get some of the noise out, and lowered contrast, adjusted blacks and whites and brought highlights up a bit.
Is this a composite? (focus stacks or exposure blends are not considered composites)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Recrop…

Nicely caught, Vanessa. The little critter is catching the light very well and looks nicely sharp. Have you tried other placements in the frame to see how they look?

1 Like

Thanks @Mark_Seaver , yes I’ve tried just about everything and personally like this best, but what are your thoughts on this crop…

1 Like

Vanessa, comparing the two versions is a good exercise in how composition effects viewing. The original (centered fly) lets the fly dominate the view, however, there’s a more dynamic feeling in the repost plus it lets the textures in the background play a stronger role. While I prefer the repost, because the background gets a larger role, what you’re trying to get the viewer to feel/think is “artists choice”.

1 Like

I see what you mean, @Mark_Seaver Mark. The more I look at the recrop I think the more I like it because my eyes are looking around the whole scene instead of just at the hoverfly. And it looks like there’s motion., is that what you mean by dynamic?