Behind the Scenes + Crop + B&W

Semi-Straightened Version as per @Larry_Greenbaum’s suggestion. Thanks, Larry!

Critique Style Requested: In-depth

The photographer has shared comprehensive information about their intent and creative vision for this image. Please examine the details and offer feedback on how they can most effectively realize their vision.

Self Critique

I like the overall message which is what goes on and what things look like behind the scenes in a typical Nordic City.
I like the evening ambient light (evening because this is facing west), I like the angle of the street and trolley tracks.
And I like the sun at the top of the backside of the façade showing it’s last light for the day on the city streets.

I wonder if I should clone out the light colored vertical window mullion near the front of the bike riders?

Creative direction

My vision for this was to show something that would stand out in the scene, something that is dynamic in an otherwise static environment.

Specific Feedback

Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.
Conceptual: Feedback on the message and story conveyed by the image.
Emotional: Feedback on the emotional impact and artistic value of the image.

Technical Details

Sony a6000, 18-105 PZ f4 lens at 18mm, 1/100s, f4, ISO 160, shutter priority, processed in Ps and ACR

Description

I was motivated to process and post this image by a comment left on my latest image, an image of an empty street in Stockholm, Sweden.
The much appreciated comment was posted by @Kerry_Gordon, his suggestion was that I should have “Waited for something to happen”, I should have waited for something to enter the scene, and he was kind enough to provide a video link to Sam Abell’s talk on “The Life of a Photograph” , thanks again for that video link, Kerry!

In this image, I saw the scene as I was walking along and it immediately sparked an emotion so I composed it, but, everything seemed kind of static because everyone was waiting for a scheduled tram to come by and take them to their next destination, most people were busy with their cellphones or just standing there. I wanted something more but I didn’t know what exactly. All I knew for sure was that I wanted “It” to happen before the next tram arrived (which was about 10 minutes out as I recall).
Then I saw two people riding their rented bicycles down the sidewalk (Actually it’s a dedicated bicycle lane and lane for emergency vehicles), I decided that this was my chance but I wanted to show a bit of motion blur so I quickly reduced my shutter speed to 1/100s in hopes that it wasn’t too slow. the next thing was to wait and hope that I press the shutter button at the exact right time.
I wanted the riders to be framed between the two gray poles as shown and I hoped that the people to the left and right of those poles wouldn’t cut-off the bicycles too much with their legs, luck was really on my side with the timing and with the framing of the bicycles.

It’s ironic to me that Sam Abell talks about using a frame within a frame in his video as well as composing and waiting for “Something to Happen” because this approach is something I’ve been doing for many years. I don’t use this approach as exclusively as Sam Abell does, many of my images are subject specific which requires moving around and even chasing the subject in some cases.

Oh, BTW, the “Behind the Scenes” title is referring to this scene as actually being behind the scenes, the façade on top of the building is showing the backside, it is hiding the air handlers on top of the building from tourists.
Many Nordic cities go to great lengths to hide what they don’t want tourists to see. This area is typically used by residents only.
There are other buses and trams located on the front side for tourist use.
I wanted to see the other side, the behind the scenes side. :slight_smile:

As a side note: I have to imagine that bird and some wildlife photographers use the method of compose and wait quite often, they are waiting for that special moment as well.
Still, some birds and animals have to be chased :smiley:

This image may not be appealing to most folks here, it’s not a nature shot by any stretch but it does demonstrate the technique and benefit of “Compose and Wait”. Wait for what? Well…You’ll know it when you see it.

Sorry for the length of the write-up.

Merv, this street scene is of interest as a non staged collection of folks who for the most part are not known to each other, but share a connection of cellphone usage almost to a person here… :iphone:
I actually like the sunburst glare over the BG building area. I would crop in on the right and eliminate the large metal pole and as far in as to remove the metal rod angled in from the pole. Maybe use the red wall on the RH buildings as the point of crop there. I think that also brings the focus more towards the interaction of the people and their isolated personal awareness… :thinking:

1 Like

This is a terrific slice of life image, Merv. I love street photography, but can’t do it in Portland Oregon these days.

Anyway, I like the pano treatment. The sunstar is a nice addition, and the bicycles riding through definitely are the moment. I tried @Paul_Breitkreuz’s crop suggestion and it did simplify, but it also resulted in a lot of dead space in the foreground. I think the pole gives the sense of depth that is needed in this case.

I also converted to B&W (of course I did! :slightly_smiling_face:) and really liked how that looked as well.

You mentioned the vertical window mullion…No need for cloning…it’s a nice little touch.

Visually, I am reminded of a street in downtown Portland, or San Francisco. Walking by and taking the scene in.

All in all, this does capture a moment in my view.

Also as a side note on your previous image, I also think you caught a moment…before another moment. So it works.

Cheers,
David

1 Like

@Merv @David_Bostock I do also see David’s point here. However, with that idea in mind I might even crop up from the bottom towards a pano look… :thinking:
If you left the pole in maybe a crop up to it might work too. I just find the pole and support rod too much of an eye draw… :nerd_face:
Regardless, you have plenty here to try various options… :sunglasses:

1 Like

Yes, @Paul_Breitkreuz you’re right…if you crop the pole and then the bottom you’ll have a cleaner image, more centered on the activity.

Cheers,
David

2 Likes

@Paul_Breitkreuz & @David_Bostock,

I think you’re both right in suggesting to remove the steel pole, it throws things off in a distracting way as you said.
I cropped just enough to remove the pole so I could keep the same aspect ratio which meant cloning out the angled rod (not a big deal, just a few minutes worth of time and well worth it to me).
I had opted to leave the pole in originally because it was part of the story, there’s no way that the city of Oslo would allow a steel pole with remnants of old tape and posters to exist on the tourist side, it would have to be void of any such evidence. And there were two ladies on the right side that added to it as well, but, I’m convinced that cropping those out outweighs leaving them in.
I feel the story is still strong enough without those elements after all.

I wanted to maintain the same aspect ratio because I have a small frame that this ratio will fit :slight_smile:

I decided to go ahead and remove the window mullion while I was at it, it was bothering me since the bike riders are the dynamic element that I tried so hard to capture in an effective way.

What do you think?
Oh, and I added a B&W just for you, David :slight_smile: It’s a little on the warm side though, it was summertime and the sun was in the scene as well, so, it seemed appropriate.
Does the B&W version need more contrast?

Yes, metro train stations offer interesting slices of life with people doing their own thing each in his/her own world. I suggestion that you straighten the image. I’d use the “guided” tool in the transform panel of Lightroom Classic. You draw a few horizontal lines over the rails, curbs, and other horizon areas. Three should work. When you apply the transform the image will likely need to be cropped some, but the result is excellent. It’s a nice change to look at a non-nature image in NPN.

The cropped version works much better IMO. It provides more focus on the main subject of the people without any eye wander for me anyway. I do also like B&W version, and yes, you could experiment with contrast too.

Both cropped versions work quite well, Merv. Nice!

Hi Larry,

Good catch, I had done some lens distortion adjustments/corrections in the beginning of the edit, the curb and trolley tracks were curved a little so I used the split warp tool in Ps for that.
Then I made some adjustments for straightening the building and rails in the middle but it seemed to be too perfect (perfect might not be the right word for what I’m trying to say).
It felt better to have a slight convergence perspective with the building a little smaller on the left side.

The curb, tracks, sidewalk, etc., are all going downhill to the right quite a bit so making those level wouldn’t work.
The stair stepping of the railings in the middle are a good indicator of how sloped that area is.

I really appreciate you bringing it up because it made me wonder if had gone too far with the convergence perspective affect and I think I did!
I think it looks better to have the building closer to level , but not perfectly level if you know what I mean.

Yes, I agree, I absolutely love shooting and viewing full on nature images, they are my favorite but I also enjoy shooting street and architectural, it’s a nice mix IMHO :slight_smile:

Thank you very much, Larry!

@David_Bostock, @Larry_Greenbaum, @Paul_Breitkreuz.

I really appreciate the comments and the suggestions!
It means a lot to me!

David, I’m curious why you said that you can’t do street photography in Portland, Oregon these days.
Do they have some sort of city ordinance against it, or some other reason?

I’d love to give it a try in San Francisco, I would have to use the virtual level line in the viewfinder because I can see where it might be disorienting with such steep inclines. I’m not sure I could survive walking up all those hills though, downhill might be OK :rofl:

Again, Thanks a bunch! :slight_smile:

Hi Merv, the reason for not doing street photography in Portland is due to the dangers of being downtown alone…there is a lot of crime and homelessness. Ive almost been robbed twice in the last few years. It’s just not worth it anymore. Sad…

Wow! That really is a sad state of affairs! :frowning:

It’s bad when you can’t even walk down the street with a camera for fear of being mugged or worse and you’re right, it’s not worth the risk!

We have a few areas that are unsafe but fortunately there are still some areas that are.

I hope you can find some safe areas for street photography during some of your travels!

1 Like