Bejeweled

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

While crossing a bridge in a local preserve I was attracted to the underwater scene below me. After viewing the image on my computer I noticed this smaller scene which I liked even more, so this is quite a large crop from the original to isolate the similar sized stones.

Specific Feedback

What was your initial reaction? All comments and suggestions are welcome and thanks for viewing.

Technical Details

Fujifilm X-H2, Fujinon XF 16-80 @ 80mm (120mm), ISO 640, 1/120s, f/11, AWB, handheld.

This is a very cool abstract. I also like taking photos through water with colorful stones below the water. I’m not an abstract expert, so I can’t give you any detailed suggestions. Others on this forum will be able to do that. What I can say is that I like this image.

Hi Jim, it’s funny that you stopped at a bridge to observe what’s below you. I do that quite often too. Sometimes you’ll find a real gem of a scene such as the image you have shared. These water abstracts often remind me of mosaics. The patterns in your shot are hypnotic. Aesthetically, it’s a pleasing image to absorb with lots of cool details.

My initial reaction is I want to rotate the image vertically. Not sure why that is but a vertical 4x5 crop might look interesting and give the image another perspective. As shown here, there are two areas near the edges that draw my attention as I do “edge patrol”. The upper right corner and near the lower left corner have these dark areas which show partial rocks. Cropping in would eliminate those areas. Technically, the exposure, colors, and sharpness look good.

Thank you @Donna_Callais and @Alfredo_Mora for your kind words. Alfredo, I will try out your suggestions and see how it comes out.

Jim,

I love these “bejeweled” situations whenever I come across them - and I have to sometimes remind myself to keep an eye out for the opportunities!

This one is a jewel for sure. Love the glimmering, glistening effects that the water and sunlight provide - captured with an appropriate shutter speed.

You mentioned a significant crop already so any further crop probably renders this printless? But no matter, this shines beautifully as presented. If the pixels are there, the crop I would consider is about 20% off the right to eliminate the round, dark-gray rock… but that’s minor. I think this works beautifully as presented.

It’s bright and warm and makes me feel cheery.

Lon

Hi Lon, thanks so much for your kind words and observations. Alfredo had mentioned cropping too and I’m wondering if some light dodging in the darker areas would work. I had 40 Mp to work with originally, so a little more cropping may be available too.

Hello Jim,

I love this just as it is! Albeit a very small crop, now you will be looking at other streams with pebbles/rocks wherever you go and hopefully be able to make pictures that won’t require an extreme crop as this. As Lon stated, any further cropping here might not make sense with it being such a tight crop, even with 40 mp to start…but no matter what, it’s a very nice abstract and keep looking for them!

Hello @brenda_tharp , thank you for your very nice critique and suggestion. I actually did a little cropping and it still looks fine, though haven’t printed it yet. Thoughtful comments such as your own and others on this site encourage my growth as a photographer.