Big Cypress Trip

Big Cypress walk with Scott from Clyde Butcher Gallery. The gallery is located on US 41 at mile marker 50.

Specific Feedback Requested

All thoughts

Technical Details

Lumix S5

2 Likes

Really nice shot! Definitely a different take on cypress! I love the light on the fungi and how you’ve made that stand out more than everything else. My only critique is particular to the photographer. There is a line of spider silk running through the frame. If you’re a natural photographer and done clone then no worries. I sometimes clone things like that out to not distract from the subject. Again, love the shot!

Hi Steve and welcome to NPN. Looks like you had a great time in the southern cypress lakes. The times I’ve visited have been enchanting and some of my most productive photography time. These look like Wood Ears or Jews Ears - a choice edible found in a lot of Asian cuisine. Great light and composition. I’m a mushroom addict so I’d have been all over this.

I notice you don’t share your camera settings or processing details, so I can only speculate as to what’s going on here. The first thing I notice is what could be leftovers from compositing two photos together and not masking fully or just messy masking. In the center of the frame on the left there is where it is most noticeable. Also possibly around the edges of the mushrooms themselves - things look a bit smeary. There isn’t a whole lot of detail anywhere in the shot and that could be any number of things contributing to the problem.

If you’d like to share a bit more about how you took and processed this, I or others may be able to help you get the most out of what is a striking photo. And I like the spider silk, too, and hardly ever remove it in my photos either.

Thanks for the feedback this is a total rework from your observations. Lumix G9, not S5 crop sensor - handheld.

David
I have a feeling I have met you somewhere. Where you at Outsiders last year?
Again thanks for your feed back. This image was from the Big Cypress National Preserve in South Florida.

I think that’s a step in the right direction! I’ve been a G9 shooter for years and know how great handling Lumix cameras are. This definitely shows more crisp detail with a narrow DOF. You could still dim down the background if you wanted - it’s a tad crunchy in the bokeh which is a lens function, so you might soften that as well if your editor has a good blur function.

Number 3
thanks again for your help

No problem. That’s what we’re here for. I always think of it as a perpetual online workshop for photographers.