Black-capped Chickadee

Black-capped Chickadee

Another from the same session as the Jay I posted the other day. Same perch and similar light.

Specific Feedback Requested

Anything. I brought the background up quite a bit with respect to the bird. Hopefully it’s not too obvious. As in the jay, I removed a bit of the PVC perch support.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Sony A1, FE 200-600 + 1.4 TC, tripod with gimbal head, blind, attracted to water, f/9, 1/2000, iso 1250, fill flash at -2 EV, manual exposure. Processed in LR + PS CC. Cropped to 7512x5224. Adjusted background up, perch down and applied exposure and curves layers to the bird. Did a final adjustment on the cheek patch. Taken August 21st at 9:53 AM under sunny skies.

This is really great, Dennis. The background is perfect, nice and out of focus with no distractions at all. The pose of the Chickadee is perfect and there’s even a catch light in the eye. Well done!

1 Like

Hi Dennis
The flash is blending nicely with what Mother Nature is giving you to work with. I like the eye catch and the background and framing work well.
Peter

Sweet!! What’s not to love about a Chickadee? And you have done this one justice, with great detail and well-handled full sunlight. But I wonder if TK’s linear profile would be an interesting comparison, for the rather extreme tonal range.

Nice job! Good to have the eye light in this black capped bird. Perch and BG all pleasant as well. No nits from me :slight_smile: ! Best, Hans

Really excellent job on the richness of the black plumage and the exposure in general. I can see you have used this perch previously and I think you could tone down the midtones with the darkening brush.