Blackwater NWR marsh

Saltwater (or in this case, brackish water) marshes are a favorite wide open space of mine. For me, one of the pleasures of open spaces is being able to watch the weather move in. This view is across a brackish marsh that’s part of the Blackwater National Wildlife refuge on Maryland’s Eastern shore, with late afternoon light setting the fall grasses aglow as the sky shows a low pressure system moving in with high thin clouds building up in the west.

This is a very appealing scene, Mark. I used to spend lots of my canoeing hours exploring similar tidal marshes in LA & MS. One minor suggestion would be to try moving slightly farther toward the bay, but still keeping some of that low tidal mud visible in the frame.

Mark, a wonderful “open spaces” rendering here. Between the open marsh area and the open sky it sure makes us spend sometime looking around. I especially like the bright cloud reflections in the water. Those are almost a scene of their own. The streaking there is super…:+1:

I could also see a pano slice for another look. Maybe from the bottom up just past the mudflat. Regardless, it’s always nice to just play around with options if inclined to…:thinking:
Although, with the mudflat there it kind of leads our eyes around the bank towards the center. Hard to say unless viewed larger as a print. Again, always options…:sunglasses:

A lovely image, mark. I particularly like the cloud reflections and the light on the foreground grasses.

I haven’t been to Blackwater NWR for ages, Mark. Seeing this makes me want to visit again. The late afternoon light is doing a masterful job of bringing out all the textures and details in the grasses and reeds. I also like that bit of warmth in the sky along with those wispy clouds. Beautiful image.