Blink of an Eye

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I saw a lot of Acorn Woodpeckers this past winter in Arizona and California. This particular individual was hanging out on a tree close to my position. I captured a few images when he turned his head to look in the opposite direction, and noticed on this one image that its inner eyelid was half closed (or open depending on how one looks at things).

Specific Feedback

I decided to do a square crop but am wondering if an alternative aspect ratio would be better. Just thought that some negative space on the left in the direction of where the bird is looking would give this image more impact. Also wondering if anyone feels the brighter area in the background is too distracting.

Technical Details

Screenshot (1)

Hi Ted. I like the half closed nictitating membrane and it’s interesting that the eye that I’ve always thought of as being white has just a faint pink tinge in this individual at least. I do think just a bit more room on the left would be nice. To my eye it seems a bit crowded on that side.

I don’t know if you did anything to the cut-off stub in the foreground in processing, but I’m pleasantly surprised that my eye slides right past it to concentrate on the bird.

1 Like

A nice pose and nice close-up look.

1 Like

Hi Ted, interesting look at the eye and the colors seem good. I could see more room on the left as you suggest. The bird is large enough in the frame to diminish other possible distractions. Bird seems just a tad soft to me. An intriguing image.

1 Like

Thanks Dennis

Thanks

[quote=“Allen Brooks, post:3, topic:34576, username:Allen_Brooks”]

A nice pose and nice close-up look.

[/q

Thanks for the feedback Allen

Hello, This is a great close up though I do agree that more room on the left would be nice. I really like the texture in the background and don’t find it too bright. Beautiful bird and photo!

1 Like

Thanks Robena. I appreciate your feedback.