Blood Moon - In Camera Multiple Exposure

Description:

Specific Feedback Requested:

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Is this a composite? (focus stacks or exposure blends are not considered composites)
No

This is an in camera Multiple Exposure done on a Canon 5D Mark III. No external compositing of any form.

100-400 at various focal lengths.
1/4, f/5.6, ISO 2500

I was really lucky when I shot this series that the bright star (I’ve been told it is Antares) did not overlap with any of the moon positions as I moved the camera. I couldn’t really see the star nearly as well shooting as you can on the final image.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

@Keith_Bauer , this is quite the in-camera multiple exposure! 10 images…my camera only does up to 5. I love the graceful, subtle s-curve of the Moon, and the more evident s-curve of the star. Yes, the “stars were aligned” for you to capture Antares unobstructed by the Moon. Super!

Kieth, you did very well with the changing position and focal length creating a fine “dance” across the frame. The interplay of positions with the two nearby stars and the moon adds a lot to the viewing.

What a cool idea, and you pulled it off well. For my taste, the moon could do with less saturation, but that’s certainly your call.