Blowing Grass on White Sands

Description:

One of my favorite things these days is to just wander the landscape and react to things that grab my attention. One a hot afternoon in April I was wandering the dunes of White Sands and came across these grasses that had left patterns on the sand from being blown around. I thought that was super cool.

Specific Feedback Requested:

Really any feedback is appreciated.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Single exposure cropped to 16:9. Sony A7R4 with 24-105 Lens.

3 Likes

Very pleasing textures, contrast, and forms. The sand texture especially the one on the far left corner area is wonderful.

1 Like

I so enjoy the signs of wind on our environment. It’s a lovely image. I might have ramped up the texture a little to emphasise the wind strokes on the sand.

1 Like

this really nice, Matt! The placement in the frame is perfect and the sharp grasses and fine sand textures are superb! Good eye to see the opportunity and a very nice capture. Good choice for the challenge also!

1 Like

Thank you David, I appreciate it!

Me too! I’ve been trying to do more of that. Thanks for your idea as well!

Thank you Gary! =)

Though the image works as a whole, it feels unbalanced, with the right side being quite a bit heavier than the left. This could likely be alleviated through cropping the left side in more (to more closely match the distance between the right-most grass and the edge of the frame), or through adding more space to the right side of the frame (though I assume there is no more space left and is therefore not possible for this piece). I also find the dark divot in the lower left to be a tad distracting.

Matt, this is a delightful image to view, with the three tufts of grass and their windblown swirl patterns. You’ve also done a good job of filling the frame with the undisturbed sand pattern adding some good texture throughout.

Interesting! I feel like the left side is already far heavier than the right side. I did crop it to 16:9 but most of that came off the top.

RAW for reference: