Breaking Up Is Hard To Do + Rework #2

REWORK #2:

REWORK #1:

ORIGINAL:

This was part of a MUCH bigger tree that was breaking apart. This side felt like a breakup in process - you know you should leave, but you’re still hanging on.

Specific Feedback Requested

Does the processing support the story? I went back and forth on the level of contrast. I liked the idea of lower contrast (sort of a sad mood), but it feels more aesthetically pleasing with higher contrast. The colors were wonderful, but it has much more emotional impact in b&w, I think.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
a7r3, 35mm, f/11, 1/80s, ISO 200.

This is a really interesting subject you’ve found. The processing looks good to me. Rather than trying to include all the components I would concentrate on the essential forms here. I was fascinated by how important that upper left branch is to this composition, It wasn’t like that in reality of course. You had to have seen the entire branch and realized that a snipped was required to go with the rest of the image. Kudos for that.

Excellent story telling image here Bonnie. Wise choice to go B&W, it’s the shape and form that tells the story and creates the emotion. I think your choice to go higher contrast adds to the emotion, but my preference would be to see slightly more texture in the tree limbs and trunks, by raising the black point slightly.

I agree with @Igor_Doncov it is fascinating how important that ULC branch is to the image. It fills negative space, balances the composition, and adds to the story, all at the same time. I too suspect you recognized this in the field, knowing you.

I think Igor’s suggestion to concentrate on essential forms is a valid way to interpret the scene, if the theme is holding on. When I interpret the image, I see not just “holding on”, but also “fallen”, like a fledgling baby bird that has fallen from the nest. Thus I would crop, but leave some part of the ground to enhance the concept of fallen. Here is a rework with another crop, and a levels output adjustment to +7 to raise the black point slightly,

This is a very evocative image Bonnie and B&W is suits it well. I do like inclusion of the ground since it is part of the story.

Thanks, @Igor_Doncov, @Ed_McGuirk, and @Eva_McDermott . There certainly is more than one way to interpret this, I agree. As far as cropping, Ed’s version works, as I did want to keep the trees grounded. And I agree that the darks are a bit dark. I went back and did a version with lower contrast, bringing up the black point with a curve. I’ll post that version up as it is closer to what I was originally thinking, before I started second guessing myself.

Wonderful find! I prefer the lower contrast of the Rework, but with the higher contrast of the ground in the Original. I prefer your more relaxed crop, with a little more breathing room on the sides, to @Ed_McGuirk’s version. The lacework detail of the remaining leaves is a wonderful counterpoint to the heavy branches.

Bonnie, regarding your rework, my subjective view is that you lifted the blacks too much. You have sacrificed some of the starkness that went so well with these twisted shapes. My preference was to to lift blacks enough to show a little more detail/texture in the tree trunks. I think the ground is an important element, and the lower contrast of the rework renders it somewhat less interesting to me. I’d aim for somewhere in-between the two. Just my $0.02.

I agree. The image has become too wishy washy now. The statement is no longer bold. One that hasn’t been mentioned is the great background light. It wants dark objects in front.

Thanks again, @Igor_Doncov, @Ed_McGuirk, and @Diane_Miller. I appreciate getting your thoughts on what works/doesn’t work for you. I’ve gone for the in-between look in rework #2, and will live with that one for awhile.

This image is lovely and has a wonderful range of tones, Bonnie. It does tell a story and I think the B&W processing only reinforces that. For my personal tastes I prefer repost #2 as I think that strikes a nice balance for the tones in the scene. Beautifully done!

1 Like