Brown Bear

During last month’s tour in Alaska, I commented to my clients how the low-hanging clouds above this brown bear might come out nicely in a higher density black and white rendition. So I got the image home and gave it a try.

Sony a1
Sony 24-70mm
ISO 400
1/2000th
f/8

Max

@maxwaughphoto

5 Likes

I’m always drawn to black and white and so I am this time. Nicely done, Max. The clouds indeed came out nicely from the darker tones on top to the almost transparent curtain of fog right behind the trees. Nice feel of depth using the layers of clouds, trees up to the foreground. Personally I feel like I would try and tone down the grass just a hair, but this would be just to see what that might look like. Also liking the crop, the distances from the bear and the clouds to the edges feel just right. Impressive photograph.

1 Like

Looks great in b&w, Max, with the clouds possibly catching more attention than the bear, but, having the wildlife being part of, but not dominating the scene is what this WC is all about.

1 Like

Holger, that’s an interesting thought. My first instinct would be to say that it would diminish the boldness and contrast of the bear silhouette against the surroundings. On the other hand, it might bring the grass tones in line more with the medium tones of the clouds, perhaps creating a different sort of balance in the frame. Might be fun to explore this idea at some point.

Exactly. I would try to find out whether there is a sweet spot where the bear still stands out the way it should but the grass is just a bit darker.

1 Like

Hmm…this is looking a bit more like a black bear than a brown bear to me :wink:

I would be curious to see what a slight rework of the grass would bring about, as @holgermischke mentioned, but my eye is right away drawn to the bear as the darkest part of the frame, so I wouldn’t do too much to it. Nicely done.

1 Like

Although I’m generally not a big fan of b&w, especially for wildlife, this does work extremely well, Max! The silhouetted bear adds to rather than distracts from the landscape and balances the dynamic clouds in your composition. I really like the good definition in the trees as they seem to anchor the whole scene for me. I think the level of contrast in the scene is just right also. Very nicely done! :+1:

1 Like