Bryce Canyon Glow

I was fortunate to arrive at Bryce Canyon about 4pm on November 2, 2009. The low angled light was reflecting off the structures and bouncing all around creating this warm reddish glow everywhere. I spent 30 minutes picking the scene apart with my 200mm lens. What fun.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any comments appreciated.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 1DS III, EF 200mm, 1/13 sec @ f/11, ISO 100, Tripod, Polarizer.

5 Likes

What fun indeed! I did something similar with cypress trees when I was in Texas…finding slices is fun and this is a heck of a slice. You could probably achieve some even more subtle tonal variations with some masking with the TK8 panel…but you don’t use Adobe right? Even so, this is a treat for the eyes.

Cool layering and color. It is impossible to guess scale without knowing where you were, which you revealed. Good one.

Elegant! I love the structures, the lighting and the detail! A very good job framing the chaotic scene.

David, it’s not easy to find a section of Bryce this uniformly laid out for a clean composition. This is tops in that respect. A very fine image… :sunglasses:

David, this captures the “glow” of Bryce very well. The uniformity of the structures and the lighting is both surprising and well seen (or is that found?).

Thank you @Kris_Smith, @Harley_Goldman, @Diane_Miller, @Paul_Breitkreuz and @Mark_Seaver for the comments. Much appreciated.

@Kris_Smith I do use Adobe–Photoshop and Bridge. I do not use Lightroom as Capture One pretty much serves that purpose and I like the colors out of C1 much better than Lightroom…personal preference, I guess. C1 does have luminosity masking and I have used it in the past…might try it out on this image to see what I get.