California North Coast sunset

During this sunset it was very wet from the marine layer.

Specific Feedback Requested

I love the composition and mood but I can’t seem to get the color balance right. What do you think? Too pink? Any suggestions and comments are welcome.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
f11, 2 sec, 89 mm, ISO 100, shot on tripod

1 Like

I agree. This composition is really good, especially when you take into account that all the parts are moving and you’re composing a changing scene. The pinks together with the blue below look fine to me. Perhaps you could try dodging the blacks at the bottom to make the rocks stand out? That might make things worse however.

The pinks look just fine to me, Tony. They look realistic for the time of day as well as the blues do. I really like the dynamics with the wave action. Looks like a great way to end the day.

This looks good to me! The whites of the waves are white, which is a clue that the white balance is ok.
I like the composition too. It seems balanced left to right. The colors in the sky are beautiful.

Beautiful shot, Tony. The ss is nice at 2 secs catching a rolling curl of the waves and easy white water. The colors ring true for me. A sea sunset keeper for sure.

I do love the mood and i believe the colours work right here.
with your permission I propose a slight crop because, in my view, that left - taller -rock is not working. Is too dominant.

1 Like

Tony, This looks great to me as you have it and I’m really enjoying the wave motion from the 2 second exposure. It’s a wonderful seascape image with a great feel. I also like Joao’s crop which seems to work quite nice.

I think it is just fine as presented. I’ve been to the ocean many times and have seen these same colors. You captured them very well, and the 2 second exposure time is an excellent choice.

Thank you one and all for the comments and suggestions. I am so grateful to get your feedback!

I love the misty look of this image, the softness in the haze and water is very soothing. I think hte composition works well too.

I think the way you have presented it looks fine. The pure whites in the surf create a very nice contrast against the pastel colors in the sky, and impart a very clean look to the image. I think the pink and blue here in the sky are warmer than how the earths shadow looks when it’s before sunrise. Pre-sunrise twilight colors are cooler, and the pink would be more magenta. But this is a sunset (and probably not long after sunset), and these warmer colors just feel right for this time of day.

Tony,
I typically am not a fan of a 50/50 split between the top and bottom of an image but I feel this pretty much works. I wish there was something in the foreground/bottom portion of the image as it feels like something is missing,rocks, sand etc. All that being said, I love the motion of the ocean in this scene and your shutter speed was just right. I like a little blur but I also like to see a little bit of texture and you have both. This is getting really nitpicky but the LRC has a dark section of water that pulls my eye. Easy to dodge that a little bit as it’s a very small section of water. The sky looks very natural to me and not overly pink or saturated. You have a very soft, misty quality to the sky which is also very real looking and totally believable. You had great conditions for sure. This might need a tiny 1 degree counter clockwise rotation as well. Beautiful scene Tony.