Canvasback Flap

Hi All,

Apologies for the extended absence. Work has really gotten the best of me lately. I’ve still been shooting and have some images queued up for critique. The first one is this canvasback. Maybe the old saying about water off a duck’s back isn’t as true as we’ve been led to believe!

Specific Feedback Requested

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
D850
500mm + 1.4x TC handheld
1/6400
f/6.3
ISO 800

@lylegrubyphotography
1 Like

Very nice freeze frame, Lyle. Love the wing feathering details you’ve captured. Quite a tight shot.

The detail is wonderful. I especially like the back feathers - such a beautiful pattern and arrangement that you hardly ever see. That belly, too! Such grace and power. Well done. One thing I would try is to maybe enlarge the canvas around it if you can.

Fine pose and excellent detail. I agree with Kristen that there could be a little more space around the bird. I also find the blue to be a little oversaturated.

It’s always neat to catch this action in the ducks, Lyle. I like the wing position in this one that creates a bit of peek-a-boo scenario. To my eye, the blue looks fairly reasonable, but I would like to see a bit more space, particularly above the bird.

Hi Lyle, wonderful flapping pose you captured and I love that red eye over the wing. Exposure and colors look good to me. I could see adding some space up top. Well done.

Nice pose and good detail. Like the flying water droplets. Like the sense of water movement as well.

The water is unusual but, to me, simply gorgeous. Wonderful pose, great detail and I love the capture of the droplets.