Cape Henlopen Sunrise

This was such a wonderful morning with the fog hanging out over the waters of the Atlantic Ocean. I had the beach to myself with the sun climbing up through the fog as it produced these lovely pastel blues and pinks everywhere. It was a surreal mood as the landscape was bathed in these beautiful muted colors. It was an absolutely perfect way to start the day IMO.

As always thanks for taking a moment to leave a thought.

Specific Feedback Requested

All C&C welcome.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Nikon D700, Nikon 17-35 @ 32mm, f 18 @ 1.6 sec, ISO 200, cable release & tripod

3 Likes

I love these soft pastels, Ed. The salmon pink and blues are what I associate with Atlantic Ocean sunrises. We don’t get these colors much at all on the West Coast. (Except maybe when there is a wildfire and the sky turns pink)
I like the way the fog/clouds seem to form a line, leading my eye to the lively little sun orb. Same with the receding water lines.
What a gorgeous morning you were able to experience!

Ed, this is a great minimalist view. The gentle orange/pink/blue tones, the sweep of the swash and the nicely angled breaking surf create a fine sense of being there alone and quietly enjoying the view.

Quite serene. The Atlantic doesn’t do that much, so bravo. The diagonal brings a lot to the composition in terms of focus point as does the sun. Makes me miss the ocean. The two big lakes on the borders are close, but not the same.

Beautiful painterly image, Ed. I will be the outlier and say I find the sun a bit distracting. I find it pulls me and everything else is so nice, I don’t want to be pulled there. For me, it is too small to add to the image. But that is me… Lovely serene scene.

Absolutely, a great way to start the day Ed! I’m a sucker for minimalist scenes and this one hits the mark. The muted, pastel colors add to the minimalism. Your shutter speed stretches out the water in the foreground to a pleasing blur and mutes the water motion beyond the wave so it’s not a distraction. Everything works in this image for me. The fog, the colors, and the shutter speed.

I love this Ed. And the SS is just right for that wave.