Carrizo Flowers

I was so lucky to visit Carrizo Plains in Southern California last April, which was a wet year in California. The wildflowers were abundant and filled the vast valley from one side to the other. This was a quick shot I took before the sun dipped down over the hills. It was my first visit there, and I’m excited to return next spring.

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques: ISO 1250, f/10, 24mm, 1/400sec.

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
8 Likes

Kathy, this is an astonishingly dense field of flowers, WOW! The distant mountains and water add a fine sense of wildness. The crepuscular rays from the sun provide a fine visual balance with to all of the flowers.

1 Like

Kathy, very beautiful photo! To my eye it seems to warm and you might try decreasing the warmth a bit.

Stunning image Kathy. The only thing I’d suggest is either cropping off, burning in or cloning out the flower on the lower right edge of the frame, it’s a bit distracting but otherwise this is excellent!

This is a stunning image, for sure, Kathy. I do hope you have this hanging prominently somewhere that others can enjoy.

Now I know why everyone was buying plane tickets and heading there, Kathy. An utterly amazing flower density. I love the angle with the setting sun. An excellent job of getting the exposure to work with the sun directly ahead. Beautiful image.

What everyone else said about this, Kathy. My only recommendation for next time is perhaps to consider focus stacking the image. This is a very very beautiful scene.

I too think this is a beautiful image, Kathy. I love all the colors in the flowers and the sun setting behind the distant mountains. I agree with cloning out the bottom right flower. I may be wrong, and it may be my perspective, but it looks like the horizon is slanted just a bit. Good luck with the image whatever you decide to do with it.

Kathy: Marvelous light and its effect on the flowers. It’s almost impossible to crop a scene like this and not have some partial flowers so I see no need to clone the flowers in the RLC. Wonderful scene superbly captured. >=))>

You gotta love the Carrizo plain. I was there last year in April as well. It was my first time there and I was overwhelmed by the density of flowers for miles and miles. I’ve never seen anything like it in my life. I wanted so badly to go back this year but, you know, Covid-19 and all.
You have a wonderful representation of the great variety of flowers in just one scene. The setting sun is a really nice touch and good sun star/flare. The flower in the LRC doesn’t bother me and as Bill put it, it’s a;most impossible in a scene like this to not get some sort of flower that’s cut off.
By the way, I was there on April 5th and 6th. The conditions you had look very similar to the conditions I had so just wondering when you were there? Beautiful image Kathy!