Cheetah Sunrise

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

I have no specific questions. Just tell me anything you can think of!

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Image Description

Warm morning light was shining on this cheetah when we were driving past it at sunrise. In the spur of the moment I chose to drive to the other side of him so the warm backlight turned him into a silhouette.

Technical Details

f/4
1/3200s
64 ISO
No post-processing

Specific Feedback

Any feedback

3 Likes

Very nice and atmospheric. Very typical Cheetah pose. You might consider setting a black point to make it even more of a silhouette and desaturating a bit to give it more of an early-morning tenderness.

Hello Jaap, thanks for your comments!
I have to admit I had to look up what ‘setting a black point’ is, because I’m not a happy post-processor :sweat_smile:
However, I did try it and didn’t see much difference. The blacks in LR went to -3 but maybe I’m doing it wrong.
Anyway, the image is as it came out of the camera and I didn’t do any post processing on it. I tried desaturating the colour but am not convinced myself if that is better. But please do have a go at it and show me what you mean!
Thanks again and have a nice Easter Weekend!
Ingrid.

This is wonderful! The colour is great, and I love the silhouettes of the grass as well. My initial response was awe!

Thank you, Robena!

The problem here, Ingrid, is that the IR light in the tropical sunrise overwhelmed the filter on the sensor, turning the sky yellow. I am sure that it was far more pinkish. It should be possible to correct, but on a small JPG the grass on the right with a small cloud behind it is a real problem. I can show you the general idea in a five-minute edit, but that bit of grass of grass on the right with the cloud behind it needs a lot more, including selecting and inverting the grass. Now there are bits that I didn’t manage to select. I would need a large raw file and even then it would take some doing.

An alternative might be to work on a blending layer in L* A* B* and split the sliders, but I did not try that.

For that reason I always keep a B+W 486 filter on my lenses in the tropics - it avoids a lot of Photoshop grief.

I also removed the haloing around the Cheetah and in the grass around it and intensified the black of the silhouette. But I confess it was a quick-and-dirty job to show what I meant.

A very nice Easter to you as well and keep your lovely images coming!

Hello Jaap

Thanks for the efforts you’ve been through with the editing of and feedback on this photo.

I would certainly try a UV-/IR-Cut filter but to my knowledge (correct me if I’m wrong!) they don’t exist as a drop-in filter.

The colour of the sky in your edit is not like what the actual situation was. In fact I would have to go back in time to double check the right colours of the sky :wink: - normally in the field I manually change the white balance to whatever the correct colours are for the light conditions at the time. As this was a spur of the moment decision, I didn’t change the white balance from the photos I’d taken just before the silhouette ones. But it will be interesting to see - next time I have a similar situation - what I can do with white balance. As Photoshop grief is not what I’m looking for in life :laughing: :pray:

I do have a couple of series 486 filters by B+W And Heliopan also has IR Sperr filters in their catalog and also offer series filters. Foto Huppert should know. I am quite allergic to the yellow I see in most sunsets Always edit it out. I once had a few lovely Lion shots at noon and had to convert to B&W because the yellow cast from IR was not corrigible