Chillin' Out

Went to Hammonasset State Park (CT) yesterday in search of birds, without much luck. Decided to hike out to a point overlooking Clinton Harbor and found these seals laid out on the rocks, almost 1/2 mile away. I knew the distance would be challenging, so took the proper precautions and shot away. Loved the expression of the seal in the center.

Specific Feedback Requested

Needs work on the expected noise. Use of digital teleconverter vs post cropping? All comments and suggestions are welcome and thanks for viewing.

Technical Details

Fujifilm X-H2, ISO 125, f/8, 1/125s. XF 70-300mm, 1.4x teleconverter (630mm equiv.). Tripod mounted, used timer and also used the built in digital teleconverter at 2x, then cropped to about 25%

Hi Jim, terrific reaction on that seal.
I recently picked up an X-H2 and the new 150mm-600mm zoom. Love the setup but I have noticed some of my bird shots that should have been in sharp focus exhibited the sort of overall softness I see here. I have a few smaller prime lenses that work spectacularly with the X-H2, so I returned the lens thinking it might be a problem there. The replacement is out for delivery today and I will do some serious testing. I’ll post here what I find out.

Yeah, this was a really long reach, so surprised I got anything useable. Coming from a 1" sensor camera, and with 40 megapixels to work with, I’m thrilled so far. Was thinking about that lens, but didn’t want to carry it hiking or kayaking. Good luck with yours David.