Chipping Sparrow

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

A very common and very beautiful small sparrow. Chipping Sparrows are easily attracted to feeders, where they seem to prefer black oil sunflower seeds.

Specific Feedback

I tried everything, and tried it several times, to remove that little twig from the front of the bird, but couldn’t do it without leaving artifacts.

Technical Details

Properties

Canon RF 100-500mm

1 Like

Very attractive look at the sparrow; nice pose. I like the perch and background, though wonder about cloning out the OOF branch on the left side of the frame.

That twig is in about as awkward a place as it could possibly be to make cloning it out difficult, Terry. I hope you’ve taken your pruners to the darn thing. Chipping sparrows are one of my favorites as well and I find the Juvenile plumage very attractive as well. They’re not super common out here but I usually have several opportunities a year on them. This is a great pose and a nice environment. I do notice some cloning artifacts where it looks like you eliminated a twig behind the tail and something looks a bit odd where the branch leaves the frame on the right. I think I agree with Allen about the branch on the left. It’s nicely out of focus but those bright green leaves against the dark background do pull my eyes away from the bird.

Hi Terry, these sparrows are real beauties and I really like the color and sharpness you have captured on the bird. I agree with the comments above so don’t have much to add. This would definitely be worth a second look. Love that rusty cap.

Thanks @Allen_Brooks. I was undecided about that branch on the left. I wanted some Spring leaves in the photo, but perhaps that’s too much.

Thanks @Dennis_Plank. I did use content aware on a small twig near his tail and thought I had done a good job. But you’re right; when I magnify it as much as possible, I see a couple of small spots. I’m not sure about that area on the right; I didn’t do anything there. I’ll peruse the RAW file. As for that little twig in front of the bird, as soon as I downloaded the photos and looked, I went out, grabbed my pruners, and went to work! Of course, I haven’t seen the bird since…

Thanks @Allen_Sparks. Comments always appreciated.