Circles in the Sand + Rework

REWORK:

ORIGINAL:

It’s fascinating what the combination of wind and a little blade of grass can do.

Specific Feedback Requested

What about the b&w processing? I’m not a fan of big contrast, but maybe this needs more. Just not sure.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
a7r3, 24mm, f/11, 1/250s, ISO 400, hand held.

2 Likes

Photo is wonderful, Bonnie. I love the various textures in the sand and reeds/grasses, along with the feel of movement throughout the image. I do agree with you about perhaps just a bit more contrast could make the photo pop! Very nicely seen and captured.

I really like this one, Bonnie. I am thinking this would benefit from more contrast and maybe even trim a little bit off the bottom? Real nicely seen and composed. For some reason, when I look at it, Native American petroglyphs come to mind.

Wow Bonnie, wow. I love this. The shapes, textures and subtle interplay of that wind makes a really compelling little scene. You have an eye for sure! You could give Harley’s suggestions a go and see if that strengthens any of the core components and see how you like it, but it’s pretty darn strong as it is.

Bonnie, grass circles on the beach are always great fun. This b&w version looks great. You’ve got a nice focus on the big circle and it’s creator, with good support for the surrounding grasses. The cloudy sky adds well to the scene.

Thank you @linda_mellor, @Harley_Goldman, @Kris_Smith, and @Mark_Seaver for your thoughts. I’ve posted a rework with a bit more contrast and a tighter crop. I increased the contrast by bringing up the lighter end of things only. It changes the mood, but I wasn’t aiming for a certain mood, anyway.

I like the crop but delving into strictly personal preference, I would bring in the black point and get more contrast than in the repost. Highs and upper mids look right to me.

Bonnie, the crop and especially the extra brightness let the main grass clump stand and circle stand out more in the rework. However, the overall brightness takes away from the tall grass at the back and the sky. I enjoy the somewhat stormy mood in the original, that’s mostly gone in the redo. Becomes a question of what story are you wanting to tell, here…

Thanks, @Harley_Goldman and @Mark_Seaver for weighing in again. I will have to work on this one some more, I think.