Clark's Grebe Courtship Ritual

These 4 images were photographed recently in Klamath Lake, Oregon.  Pairs of Clark's Grebes are shown performing a unique courtship ritual called "Rushing."   I will be entering one of these images in a local competition.  I am interested in opinions as to which of these images are most attractive and competitive and why.

Nikon D500 with Nikkor 600mm f4 @ 1/2000

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

I like the first one the best. The birds close proximity. The lack of distracting background items. Their symmetry of positions. Reasons for my choice.

1 Like

Definitely the first for me. They are both upright, close together, calm water, great water color, and sharp and good exposure. I can here the pitter patter of their feet rushing across the water. Boy, does this bring back memories. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks David
I think that’s the most “Classic Portrait” of the four images.

Definitely the first, Albert. The closeness, the fact that both are in excellent focus, their placement in the frame with plenty of room to move into and the splash behind them all add up to a fine image.

Thanks Dennis and David.

Allen also likes #1. Looks like it’s unanimous.
Glad I asked. I would have gone for #4.

Hi Albert
You have posted a nice dance. I also have to go with the first photo, only because it has better control of the whites. Nice work.
Peter

Thanks Peter
You’re right about the Whites. Even with an overcast sky it took -.7 EC to keep from blowing out the whites on the Grebe’s breast.

The first image is my preference. The others are nice too, but the group together detracts from the first image IMHO. Wonderful capture.

Thanks Larry
It was amazing to see these birds sitting peacefully on the water .
The next thing you know they’re up and running. Then both dive
headfirst into the water and it’s over. Like it never happened.

Amazing series, Albert. Never seen them do this - most likely since I have only see them end of Summer. Love all shots, but the first one the best. Love splashing ! Well done, Hans

Thanks Hans
I think that depending on the year they start in Mid April and run into
early June. By July I’m told that things peter out.

1 Like

Beautifully done! I’ve never witnessed this, but would certainly love to one day. I think the first one takes the cake for me.

Thanks Jenaya
It is one of those bizarre spectacles of nature that are hard to explain.