Close Moorhen of the 3rd Kind

After a period abroad, I am back. Bird season is slow now, but in front of my house I shot this Common Moorhen Coot earlier this week. They always seem quite surreal with their colours and huge feet. The bird was walking on a little hill, the BG colours come from people picnicking in the park.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

I considered cloning out the light stem to the left of the bird, but decided against it since it seems to balance the image. Curious about your opinions

More images in my blog: www.hansoverduin.nl/blog/

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Nikon D500 with 500mm f4 | 1/800s | f4 | ISO450 | handheld

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
4 Likes

Hans, this really is “Big Foot”. I just love face on images of birds, and this is no exception. To me, the light spot does seem to balance the image. I love the low profile, right down at face level with her. Very nice shot.

1 Like

How can anyone not just love a little fellow like this one? Very nicely done Hans. The soft background totally helps to make the bird stand out. Great photo.

1 Like

Hans, Love this shot especially how the soft BG complements the colors in the face of the bird.
Wayne

1 Like

A very unique, captivating image. Of course your patented low angle just makes this even better!!

1 Like

Excellent, Hans. The bright weed to the left does balance the image nicely and the youthful plumage of this species fits the title admirably. The only thing I can think of trying is to remove the stem section of that bright weed, just leaving the head like a beckoning light in the fog. I’m not sure it would work that way, but it might be worth the few minutes it takes to try it.

1 Like

This is a fun photo, Hans! A strange looking bird with a unique face and humongous feet. The background just happens to be color coordinated with its beak and helps balance the frame. The low perspective gives it a Coot’s eye view that makes it a more intimate scene. Well done :+1:

Hi Hans
You just have to love Mother Nature for giving us a bird like this for you to photograph. Vary nice low angle head on photograph.
Peter

1 Like

Thanks all for your kind comments ! And thanks for choosing the image as an editor’s pick ! best, Hans

What a beautiful moorhen chick! I love the bird, the light, the huge feet and the grass works also well for me. We see many adult or grown-up juvenile moorhens on the grass, but never a chick. Parents seem to keep them mainly in the water or hidden away in the reeds, so the background makes the image even more special to me.

A well deserved Editor’s Pick.

Hans, Every time this image pops up when browsing posts I have to stop and enjoy this photo. For the reasons others have mentioned and because it is so darn good and draws me into it. Thanks for posting.
Wayne