Colorful Low Tide

A pre-sunrise shot from the Schoodic Peninsula of Acadia NP in Maine. This is a view of Little Moose Island. At high tide it is a true island fully surrounded by water. But at low tide you can actually walk out to the island. Just don’t stay too long though, or you will be trapped. This was not quite at low tide, so there were still some pools of water remaining. I took a long 4 second exposure to smooth out the water in the pools. I also cloned away a handful of tiny lobster buoys in the blue water in the background, which is an occupational hazard of photographing along the coast of Maine. I kept the land-forms in full silhouette, to enhance the graphic nature of the image.

Specific Feedback Requested

any critique or comment is welcome

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Can on 5D Mk4, Canon 70-200mm f4 lens, at 191 mm, ISO 100, 4.0 sec at f16

1 Like

I like the graphical feel of the image. It also conveys to me a calm feeling with the smooth water and warm orange colors that seems very fitting for pre-dawn.

I like the silhouette look, and I love the sky. Really nice capture, Ed.

The warm color gradient in the sky transitions beautifully the blues of the water. I also get a sense of calm and peacefulness. The silhouettes work well to simplify the image adding to is overall mood.

Ed, what makes this image for me are the color palette, silouette and most of all the reflection across the blue water. Great image TME and need to get to acadia!

Ed,
You and @David_Wallace are killing me with these Acadia images as I have not been there since October of 2019 due to Covid! :scream: I am getting the itch to hopefully head north this coming October. I particularly like the graphic quality here with the bold saturated colors and the deep blacks of the silhouettes. The blues in the water are very striking IMO. I see you do not like the lobster buoys any more than I do, but as you said they are “an occupational hazard of photographing along the coast of Maine”. Beautifully done!

Ed, to me a masterpiece for all those colors and the composition. The use of the 4 second exposure did make it. I myself will go and experiment with that.

1 Like

Beautiful, Ed. Great colors and comp and the silhouette does a fine job at simplifying the scene. There are a couple of bright bits on the left side I would clone out, but no other suggestions.