Coquille River Lighthouse

The Coquille River Lighthouse, which is adjacent to the Coquille River, began operation in 1896 and is part of Bullards Beach State Park near Bandon on the south-central Oregon Coast. The lighthouse, the last government light built in Oregon, served to direct traffic into the Coquille River and as a light for mariners at sea. Unique among West Coast lighthouses in its architecture, it is an elongated octagonal shape with arched window heads.
Oregon Encyclopedia

Specific Feedback Requested

Any comments appreciated.

Technical Details

35mm, 1/150sec @ f/11, ISO 160, Handheld, Cropped from the top (dull gray NW sky)…

1 Like

This photo immediately grabbed my attention as I tried to shoot the same spot a year ago. I like your choice of using the grass as a foreground and choosing BW format given the overcast day. You also managed to avoid the tourists which is always a problem .

What a gorgeous and unusual building! Lovely tonalities in the B/W. It might be a very interesting subject on a foggy day, too.

@Richard_Duckworth and @Diane_Miller thank you for your comments. Much appreciated.

Richard, yes, the tourists can be a pain sometimes. I liked the three clumps of grass balancing with the three windows…

Diane, I’ve shot this lighthouse in fog before too. It’s a wonderfully fun subject.