Corduroy Pillow

Image Description

If you’ll indulge me, rather than posting an image description I’d love to ask a question. For the Natural Landscape Photography Awards, are the images judged blind? (Do the judges know the photographer and/or information the submitter wanted to share, or are they just looking at the image without any additional information?) If they are not judged blind, do the judges take into account the photographer’s intent or goals for the image? If they are judged blind, do the judges try to understand what the photographer’s intent was and use that understanding in judging the image, or do they judge the image as a stand alone based solely on what is presented?

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

All those questions aside, I’d love your thoughts on this image as if it was entered into the Natural Landscape Photography Awards. If the images in the competition are not judged blind, I’m happy to add additional information . :smiley:

Technical Details

FUJIFILM X-T30
FUJIFILM XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS at 55 mm (83 mm equivalent)
1/1250 at f/11.0 and ISO 160

1 Like

I’m happy to indulge. No we don’t look at any narrative associated with a picture. It would be nice to do this but with the volume of images it would make things difficult. The only way to keep everything fair from the first round is to keep it anonymous and judge the image on its own merits.

As for the image you’ve submitted, I think it’s really nice! I’m sure it would get past the first round and be put in front of the main judges. From what I’ve seen of how the judges tend to look at pictures, I think they’d see the shadows across the top edge as a bit of a distraction. If you don’t mind, I’d like to suggest a crop to you (plus I’m brightened the snow a little. This concentrates the eye on the two key features, the amazing melt lines and the beautiful Caspar David Friedrich esque trees!!

Thank you @Tim_Parkin! I appreciate both the information on the judging and your edit suggestions.

No problem - I keep coming back to this as its one of the nicest images I’ve seen in a while…

1 Like