Crescent Moon and Oaks

I have a nice view of the setting crescent moon from our deck, and saw this one summer evening. I had to blatantly cheat by moving the moon, though – it was too high off the top of the frame and by the time it got lower it would have been too far to the right. Both moon and trees were shot from the same point but each was focused separately.

Specific Feedback Requested

All comments welcome!

Technical Details

Is this a composite: Yes

Canon 5D4, Canon 600mm f/4 + 2X at 1200mm. ISO 400, f/9, 1/13 sec. Remote release with mirror lockup. No wind and holding my breath. Minimal adjustments in LR and combined in PS.

2 Likes

Super lovely sky, super lovely moon: I especially love the details on the moon. I think it is positioned in the right place in the frame. Now if there is an owl on the tree though… :wink:

Composite views of the moon are very common because it’s hard to get the moon and foreground “right” in a single shot. I like the subtle magentas and pinks in the sky, the thin crescent looks great with excellent detail and it’s well balanced with the trees.

Diane, this is my kind of photo. Yes…when tree branches are included with the moon two photos need to be focus blended. But this photo is very clean and crisp. It makes want to be there looking at this scene in person.