Dancing with the Waves

This dory just “popped” up through the waves. A few seconds before only the oarsman’s hat could be seen!

I feel a river trip through the Grand Canyon gives the best value for your vacation dollar. For photographers/geologists it doesn’t get any better! Although the endless rapids are thrilling, I go primarily for the daily side canyon hikes. You can choose between large, motorized rafts, small oar rafts, or wooden dories. On the large rafts, you can find seats where you hardly get splashed, even in the larger rapids. I much prefer the dories, with incredible oarsmen who can dance through the waves!

Specific Feedback Requested

Technical Details

1/1,250 sec - f5.6 - 200mm - no crop - from the shore

3 Likes

@Bill_Pelzmann This is an amazing image. There’s so much story and action. It’s very impactful. I have to say though, that I think I’d rather watch the wooden dories than be in one! :smiley:

1 Like

Karla, I also had some misgivings about riding a tiny dory through those huge waves. After two trips on motorized rafts, I wanted a longer time with more hiking opportunities. The motorized trips are typically one week, while the dory trips require over two weeks to run the entire canyon. After the first day, I was completely comfortable with the more “intimate” experience of the dory .

1 Like

Bill, this is a great action shot with all the waves, the big splash and the colorful rocks in the background. However, because it is dominated by the humans and the boat, it doesn’t fit the weekly challenge criteria requiring nature images unless specifically called for in the WC description. I’m moving this to the non-nature gallery.

Somehow I missed this, Bill. What a fantastic action shot. The shutter speed really helps freeze the action. Fantastic!

1 Like

Mark, thanks for the clarification. Since the boat is the main subject, I understand your decision.

Great action-packed image! It shows the power of the river and the energy expressed in the frozen splash is terrific. I haven’t been on that river, but have done other river rafting and know the thrill of it. This expresses just how hard the oarsman has to work to finesse that boat through the rapids. Well-captured!

1 Like

Yes, Brenda, I have nothing but the highest respect for the oarsmen/women of the Grand Canyon. Our trip leader had over 350 runs through the canyon, and I was totally at ease after the 1st day. I don’t know of any other river that has as many photographic and hiking opportunities, along with such varied geology, as the Colorado through the GC.