Death Valley Intimate

Starting the 4rth week of lockdown from the virus enabling me to go back through and do some editing that I had not done before. This was taken at Death Valley to the right of Zabriskie point high up on that ridgeline looking down through the valley into the badwater basin. From this perspective you get a whole different view of the rolling and colorful ridges that are everywhere. This is pretty true to the colors but I did add a little bit of magenta to this one.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

I’d love to hear anything you have to say regarding the processing.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

D810, 1/80th @ F/8, 80-400mm lens, 105mm, ISO 64

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Single shot, from tripod

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

David: Marvelous color palette and I like the light that enabled it. My one visit there was too bright to carry off many successful images so I appreciate what you have here. I like how you’ve processed this with the fine textures in the badlands and the color in the BG. Well seen, composed, captured and presented. >=))>

The processing looks good to me. The textures and colors of the hills are superb.

I know this point - a short hike up to get to the ridge line. I am not a landscape photographer by any stretch, but I certainly like this well balanced image. Adding magenta is personal and works well to me.
One thing that I find perhaps a little distracting, are those 2 white water lines at the top

Thanks for sharing

Wonderful earth tones and textures David. I also like the look of the layered landscape with a touch of blue tones in the background.

Thanks so much Bonnie.

Thanks Very much Karl.

This is a beautiful abstract scene David. The composition is nicely balanced, and the processing of color looks spot on to my eye. I love the color contrast created by the blue tones in the background, that subtle hint of blue really makes the image sing.

Oh this brings back memories of my visit there in 2013!!! Nicely done. That’s a great view, and I really like the textures in all those ridges. Sweet!

David,

Excellent job isolating this from the grander landscape. It’s always refreshing to see these kinds of captures from such iconic locations. So kudos for this.

Processing? Excellent as well! Fabulous job with the natural rendition of the earth tones. I’ve been once and really the desert landscape there can be rather drab, but the diffused light has allowed you to present the rich colors quite beautifully. I especially like the cooler top portion for a warm/cool balance and presentation.

The only nit/suggestion might be to mitigate the white line across the top, especially on the left half. Not a big deal, but it does pull the eye a little.

well done! Very much enjoying this one.

Lon

I love this composition. I’ve never been to DV but would love to spend some time there. This terrain is just incredible. The FG is so interesting with all the little cracks and “mini-valleys” for the lack of a better term. I also love the color contrast between the warmer FG and the much cooler BG. I think the FG looks a bit flat however. I downloaded it and played with TK’s Luminosity masks a bit to dodge some of the darkest FG & midground features, and the burned the cracks and shadows in an attempt to give it a little contrast and depth.

1 Like

Really nice redo Bill. The 2 large dark hills in the center and the left have been brought back to life. I can really see all the pinks, bronzes and greens now. It balances the image so much better. The original has a heavy mid to left weight that is gone in your version. The blues in the background (reflected light of the panamint mountain range just behind in early morning blue light) are even more pronounced with better contrast. This is really great Bill. Thanks for the effort you put in.