Death Valley Sands

Image Description

My first time photographing in Death Valley NP (seven days of photographic bliss). Sometimes, it seems that photographs make themselves here. Not so this image. I loved the contrast between the hard pack and the newly blown sandy ripples.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

Any feedback is welcome. Including the use of black and white with which I am experimenting lately.

Technical Details

This is a 2-image, stitched “pano,” converted to black and white in post.

1 Like

What are interesting scene. The variety of textures and patterns is quite striking. I don’t do much black and white work myself, but I think it helps convey the contrast in this scene quite well. I was recently in Death Valley myself, second time but the first was a family vacation so the photography was somewhat limited. I know what you mean about bliss.

What a wonderful find!! I love the patterns in the flat area and think the B/W conversion is a great way to emphasize them. I think the interest lies in the bottom 2/3 or so. I wonder what you think about this crop?

Wow, the B&W really works well in this image Michael, good move! Can just imagine the different textures you’ve captured here and I like your composition with the diagonal lines; adds a lot of interest.

Thanks for the feedback. I like the tighter crop. Endless varieties!