Delicate

Another image from my last outing on a misty rainy day here in MD. Again I did not do much with the saturation as I wanted to keep the delicate mood of the emerging colors of spring. At first it bothered me a little that the tree on the left did not have as many emerging leaves as the one on the right. But then I thought well this gives me a glimpse of the woods in the BG which would not have been possible otherwise. So, I guess you could say that this image has grown on me. Anyway, just wondering if this works for anyone or am I to close to the image?

As always thanks for taking a moment to leave a thought.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

All C&C welcome

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

All C&C welcome

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Nikon D800, Nikon 80-200 @ 200 mm, f 20 @ 1/13 sec, MLU, ISO 400 cable release & tripod

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Hi Ed,

This image caught my eye as the flowers reminded me of a wattle tree…

I don’t think its a hero shot per se but would have a place in a study of spring in MD. I am 50/50 on whether I would include the strong trunk on the left or crop it to emphasise the tree with more leaves on the right

Delicate, that word I was looking for in your latest images. More saturation should kill the mood.

Another really fine one from that outing. You are nailing these. I would either burn or clone the brighter white trunk (looks kind of like a leftover from cloning a tree?) low left middle of the image. Otherwise, looks good to me.

Ed, this captures the early spring colors very well. I also like the eye movement that starts with the trunks on the left and moves into the leaves on the right. This captures the spring subtlety of the Eastern woods well.

Ed, I like the tree on the left because it has a series of repeating curved arc shapes in it’s branches. Then the tree to the right repeats one of those arcs. I also like how the tree on the left “points” to the more colorful tree on the right. This is a nice calm study in subtle spring colors, and works very well for me.

It has still been so unseasonably cold in New England that stuff like this still hasn’t made much of an an appearance yet in Massachusetts, so I’m still jealous :cold_face: With that said, we are also forecast to get 1 to 2 inches of snow Saturday, and the forecast is for record cold. Maybe we will catch up to you by July…

Many thanks to @Nathan_Klein, @Ben_van_der_Sande, @Harley_Goldman, @Mark_Seaver and @Ed_McGuirk for taking the time to leave a thought as they are always appreciated.

@Nathan_Klein: I almost went that way, but decided to try this first. Here is a repost with your crop suggestion.
@Harley_Goldman: It is just a lighter colored tree. Here is a repost with it burned down just a touch and a little cloning of some leaves to try to hide it.
@Ed_McGuirk: They say the grass is always greener. I will be jelous when you get your snow this weekend as I think we have only had one inch this past winter where I live in MD. I got exactly zero snow images this past winter. :cry: Good luck shooting Saturday.

I like the original just fine, Ed - love the flow of the lines across the frame and the delicate colouring. The combination of the two main trees, the one with many branches leaning across to the one with fewer is perfect.

Lovely image of the season, Ed. The undulating limbs flowing from left to right are beautiful and I love the smattering of yellow leaves throughout. If I made any adjustments at all it would be to darken that one trunk.

Thanks for the kind words @Ian_Wolfenden and @Michael_Lowe as they are always appreciated. Glad you guys enjoyed the image.