Diamond Beach

Diamond Beach Iceland
Nikon D810 28-300mm lens at 160mm, f16 1 sec ISO 280, Really Right Stuff Tripod & Ball Head

I manipulate my images in Photoshop using curves, layers, masks, & brushes. My goal is to create an artistic image.

Any feedback is welcome.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Welcome.The B&W conversion really looks nice. There’s a weird but pleasant optical illusion that the berg is floating and not in the water. I’m not totally sure about the composition though. I just feel the receding waves should be pulling us up through the image instead of across it. JMHO

Thank you for the feedback, Michael

This is an engaging image. I like the contrasting texture between the movement in the water and the sharpness of the ice formations.

Dazzling illusion. For me, the illusion is even more convincing if the image is flipped horizontally.

I agree with the other’s comments about this being an amazing optical illusion. Between that and the nice job of B&W processing, I think you have succeeded in your goal of creating an artistic image. The strong black shadow underneath the berg is the key to this optical illusion, you did a great job of processing that.

I agree with @Dick_Knudson that I would prefer to see this image flipped horizontal. My personal bias is to want to see the waves moving from left to right, and as the viewer looks from left to right, their eye ends at the iceberg. If you are not averse to cloning some things away, i might suggest placing more emphasis on the iceberg by cloning away the small chunk of ice at the top center (it is bright and near the frame edge). I also might clone away the dark patch of water in the lower left corner as you originally presented it. Here is a rework reflecting my comments.

Ed, Thanks for the suggestions on this image. Bob