Double Dandelion

Dandelion seed heads make great, but challenging subjects. In this case, it occurred to me to place a fresh bloom behind the seed head to create a yellow background, hence the title. This is a 6 shot stack to get the seed heads in the front sharp. The spider was a surprise that I didn’t notice during shooting! (5D3, 180 mm macroL, 1/400 s, f/7.1, iso 800, tripod)

4 Likes

Oh, Mark, what a treat this is. Putting the yellow bloom behind the seed head was a great idea. And then, to get a spider, with yellow markings on it, was icing on the cake for sure. And he even placed himself compositionally for you as well. Great shot.

1 Like

That is incredible Mark! I love the detail in the center and the background color really makes this unique. You have quite the vision to come up with this and it paid off with a bonus spider!

Mark, beautiful image!

Nice idea Mark and the end result looks very good. I like the stack, enough focus across the frame to draw you in towards the centre and show detail of the seed head…and the spider.

Your idea to put the dandelion behind the seed pod is a great idea even though Shirley made this comment already. This is thinking outside the box. It really works! Spider is a wonderful touch. Did you do this inside or outside? Tough to do stacked images outside with any wind.

@David_Schoen, This was done outside. There was a light breeze, hence the need for iso 800 to freeze any motion as well as waiting for little to no motion in the seed head. The seed head was totally natural, the bloom was picked for it’s size and placed on the ground below the seeds.

Mark
What a creative idea for this shot and it worked beautifully! Very striking!