Dunes Soft Morning Light

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

In the harsh desert sun, the ‘heroic’ light as Ansel Adams called it, the sand dunes give an illusion of permanence, but in the soft glow before sunrise the undulating swells of sand take on a transient quality.

It is a challenging time of day to photograph sand dunes. It is dark and all appears flat. A patient photographer is soon rewarded as the eyes adjust and the mind engages. The forms of the dunes are revealed, shadowy, luminous, rising and falling before your lens.

Specific Feedback

There is a potentially distractive element. D o you see it? I hate to process an image too much, so, if it doesn’t bother others I will leave it alone. Perhaps you see something I don’t. Let me know.

Technical Details

Canon R5
RF 100-500
ISO 800
f/9
1/400 sec,
Mesquite Flat Dunes, Death Valley NP

2 Likes

This certainly has an other worldly look to it, Paul. I feel like I could be standing on the moon. I am enjoying the B&W processing with it’s range of tones as well as the graceful undulating lines of the dunes which give this scene a wonderful sense of depth.

Two things catch my eye a little; one would be an easy fix and the other I think you would have to live with it. The easy fix would be to clone out the slightly darker area just to the left of the rear dune peak. The second thing is where the one dune curls back and intersects with the last one. I do have to say that they are not deal breakers for me as this is a wonderful image.

This is a wonderful dunescape, evocative of moonlight. I wonder if the contrast might be just a bit higher – but just a bit. The areas of sand texture on the faces is a wonderful element.

You may be referring to the irregular texture on the dune edge near the right edge of the frame. It is a small eye magnet and I think it would be good to remove it. Same for the slightly brighter area in the dark BG dune in the URC. But neither is a big item.

I’m wondering if the LR corner should be that dark? But I like the way its edge matches the next dune above it, and the way it balances the dark at the top. But it feels a little abrupt in comparison the the light on the dunes. Maybe lighten it or extend it up a little more? I think you have a very nice possibility at a second image by cropping from the bottom just enough to remove the near dune, then do a slight burn from the bottom.

Had to play a bit:

1 Like

This is really cool Paul! My first thought was this was an image shot by one of the astronauts from Apollo moon landings! :grin:
For me, the only thing I would prefer would be to add a bit more space at the top as I feel that the top dune is just too close to the edge of the frame.

I LOVE THIS !!! YES way to cool. its fine just like it is. One observer said an Apollo landing style photo. YES !!! check out my mushroom or moon photo.
I think we are on the same page !!!

To my eye I am not seeing any distractions, at least anything of significance. Interesting low-contrast presentation of dunes.

Terrific image, Paul. The time of day this was shot and the conversion to B&W both play a vital role in the mood of this image. I too feel like this is an image of the moon. I’ve seen lots of Death Valley images and most don’t make me think of the moon but this one certainly does.
The angled shadow in the LRC provides a really nice balance to the angled shadow in the upper portion of the frame. I also love the bright stripe of light coming out of the right side of the image about 2/3’s of the way up from the bottom and the apposing dark striped shadow at the same angle as the bright stripe just below in the LRC.
The only very small nit is the bright spots in the URC of the blacked out area. There are lots of lines that really work well together in this image. Beautiful!

This is a striking dune image Paul. Your B&W treatment gives this a stark moon-like mood. I like the contrast too between the sky and the dunes. My only nit is the dark LR corner.

Paul,

Wonderful dune image. I like and appreciate your description of the light and experience pre-sunrise; yeah, things are often flat with little definitions… But I think you were rewarded with this scene. Great choice on the b&w processing.

I really, really like Diane’s edit. The increased contrast really makes the scene pop - of course that may not match your experience, but I like the visual with the added contrast. I also like her treatment of the darker shadow in the LR. I too was thinking the original that shadow was slightly overpowering relative to the contrast and light in the rest of the image.

The only small anomally I can see is just above the top ridge. I’m not sure if that’s a distant mountain top, or a cloud, but you might consider cloning that. Not sure if that’s in the ballpark of not wanting to process an image too much. Certainly a small thing, so certainly a personal choice. Not a deal breaker.

If I was to suggest anything else, it would be a skosh more canvase up top. But another no biggie.

Wonderful dune image.

Lon

I like @Diane_Miller’s extending the sky above. That was critical. The upper dune feels cramped at the top.