Early Light

I cloned out the branch top center and also added a very slight touch of contrast but I don’t think that even shows. I like it without the branch. Thanks to all of you for your thoughts on this.

1 Like

In my opinion you were better off without the increase in contrast. You don’t want those trees on the right to start dominating the atmosphere. I don’t know if I’m imagining it or not. Adding contrast reduces the dreaminess which is what this image is all about.

One thing we’ve started doing here on the new NPN is posting the new and the old side by side by editing the original post. When you toggle between the two images the changes become much more apparent.

The ‘skirt’ around the tree is just super. The left side of the image is your stronger part and that’s where the light is entering. Well, you can analyze something to death. I will just enjoy it.

I’ve enjoyed looking at and exploring this image for a while now. I’ve enjoyed reading all the comments, and being new to NPN feel a tad overwhelmed at giving any critique to such a bunch of talented photographers.

I like the image with “that” branch pruned away. I prefer the softness of the OP rather than with the added contrast. The light entering the image from the left is wonderful and my eyes rest on the bigger trees on the right and the exploration starts again with that glorious arching branch. The feel of the image is extraordinary.
If I was to suggest one thing, it may be a version with just a little more room on the bottom to give the “skirt” (as Igor named it) just a little more breathing room.

Igor, I agree and like it without any added contrast. Thanks for letting me know how to put the pictures side by side. Having them side by side would make it much easier for comparison.
Glennie, Thanks so much for your thoughts on this and I’m so glad you enjoyed it. Look forward to seeing your work here on NPN. I have been off for quite awhile so it is nice being back on here for me now too. Yes, I do wish I had put a little more room on the bottoms of the image when I look at it now. Thanks, Nick

Nick, there is a wonderful subtlety to your image for me. The brighter areas at the left draw my attention first, but then I focus on the interesting details of the darker tree at the right. So these two parts of the image work together as two focal points for me. That keeps me exploring the whole composition for a long while.

I did not mind the branch at the top at all. What makes this image special for me are the wondeful subdued colors and the right amount of contrast to my eye.

Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

Hi Peter, Thanks so much for your kind words! I 'm so pleased that you enjoy the image. Always great to hear from you. Nick