Early Riser

We have a number of Gerbera Daisies spread out around the garden but this one is always the first to bloom in the spring and this is its first flower. It’s a little hard to get to so I used my long lens on my A77II to get close enough to get this early morning backlit view. Since I bought my A7RIII I don’t use the A77 much but as I was messing around I remembered that it has some creative modes. The first frame is in Illustration Mode while the third is in Watercolor Mode with some oilpaint filter effects applied in PS. The center frame is the straight RAW shot. I liked all three versions so instead of posting them individually I thought I would just put together a triptych. All comments welcome. >=))>

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.
  • Conceptual: Feedback on the message and story conveyed by the image.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

Some of Sony’s early mirrorless and DSLRs have these creative modes. They only allow JPEG but it’s still fun to play with and the results can be pretty interesting.

Technical Details

Sony A77II
Sony 70-400 G @330 mm
ISO 200, 1/30 @ f11

1 Like

Lots of fun, Bill. Beautiful daisies. My favorite is the illustrated one, love the simplicity of it.

Cool and fun idea! You could brighten the reds in the center one a bit and have people really staring at it – but maybe they would look too much the same that way.

What a fun way to use the art features in the camera. I hardly ever use the ones that ship in mine, but it could be an interesting exercise and I like the way you’ve presented them as a trio. No flowers here except the ones I get at the florist!