Early Risers

Great Sand Dunes NP is one of my favorite places on the planet and one thing I particularly enjoy is extracting scenes with my long lens. Caught this group of hikers getting an early start up the dunes after some rain overnight with cloudy predawn light.

Specific Feedback Requested

any

Technical Details

Sony A77II
Sony 70-400 G-II 2 400mm
ISO 200, 1/80 @ f8

3 Likes

Bill, this is a wonderfully composed image. Really fantastic balance and flow throughout. I was surprised to read it was from Great Sand Dune, though it makes perfect sense now that I look closer! My immediate thought was something like the Icelandic highlands - which is saying something, since most dune images look like… dune images! The people add a wonderful sense of scale and the path ahead of them leads us through the image.

I really have no substantial critique here. You could experiment with slightly more saturation overall, though the subdued colors are also a perfectly valid choice for such a desolate landscape. You could try dodging up some of the spotlighting a bit and darkening the rest of the image slightly, but since this was a cloudy scene, it wouldn’t make sense for it to be too strong. You could try dimming that white area behind the people a little, but it also works to have it brighter to highlight their presence, and it’s certainly a nice spot for brightness to be in the frame. Getting super nitpicky, there’s a little white spot near the lower-right edge of the frame that could be darkened.

Those are just things I would play around with if it was mine, but it is really great as presented as well.

Eye-catching image Bill; I’m really enjoying this one! It’s a gorgeous abstract until the eye recognizes the people, and then it flips to a wonderful “big view.” I would love this image without the people, but they really do take it to a new level. The trick it plays on your mind comparing with and without them is fascinating.

Wow, this is an amazing image. Your compositioncolor , treatment and tonality management is just perfect.,