Early Spring Berkshire Hills

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I was hiking with friends in the Berkshire hills and the first signs of Spring covered the landscape. My initial impression was the scene looked like a painting.

Specific Feedback

I have softened the image some to reflect my impression of looking at a painting

Technical Details

Sony RX10 iii, ISO 400, 1/1250, f5.6 @98mm. Processed in Photoshop

Very attractive image Paul and your processing gives it a slight painterly effect. All of the various pastel hues you’ve captured are set off by little bursts of red buds and the evergreen trees, and I see a row of white birch trying to get my attention too. Nice job of seeing and recording this moment.

Paul, your choice of editing for this beautiful scene created the desired effect you had in mind. Softening the colors created a painterly look that is very pleasing to the eye. The color balance throughout the image is another strong point of your photo. I am not sure that the green spot on the URC adds much to the overall composition, though. I would have probably cropped it off. Another suggestion I would like to offer is the highlights on the birches on the left. The luminosity there is strong and offsets the image balance in my view. Perhaps, toning down the highlights in that section to match those in the center would keep the viewers’ eyes from wandering off the frame on the left side. I completely love the warm and impressionistic tones throughout the whole image. What a beautiful scene to see and wonderful idea to register the moment!

1 Like

Thank you for 2 excellent suggestions. I believe they will both improve my image.

1 Like

I like the softness of the image. The colors, textures, and layers are wonderful. I do feel that the dark, bright, pointy evergreens are distracting. Especially as they are so close to the edges. Very attractive image overall.

I agree. I will either tone them down or clone them out