Eastern Kingbird-A Tribute to James Fenwick Landsdowne

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques: D500, 600mm f4 (1/500 sec at f5.6, ISO 500) Crop for comp, Levels, shadows and highlights Brightness & Contrast. I tried to smooth out the transition from white to pale gray due caused by some distant out of focus vegetation. Landsdowne was a premier Canadian artist known for his detailed, and simple high key compositions of North American birds. Due to his influence on my art, I will never pass up a chance at getting a high key image…Jim

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Beautiful image, Jim. I really like the high key presentation in this and the exposure of the bird and foliage are spot on. I really like your composition.

1 Like

Excellent job on this. Great pose and very compositionally pleasing perch. The only thing I might do is lighten the face a half stop.

1 Like

Wonderful photo Jim. Love the technique and thanks for sharing your thoughts behind it.

1 Like

An extremely nice image, Jim! The exposure and shadow control on the bird is excellent and stands out against the high key background. This method certainly puts the spotlight on the bird and works very well when done right and this one is definitely done right!

1 Like

An excellent high key and you picked a good bird for it as well. I like the branch and the nice look back pose. I could see some lightening around the eye area as well. Nice and spacious.

1 Like

And an excellent tribute it is! Yes, it has the feeling of a table from a classic illustration. Excellent composition and excellent processing… Beautiful!

1 Like