Eastern Wood-Pewee

A member of the Tyrant Flycatcher family of birds, this small flycatcher often perches high in trees, generally in fairly exposed places providing good viewpoints from where he flies out, catching his prey in mid-air, then usually returns to his same perch. The buffy-colored wingbars on this bird indicate he is a juvenile, as adults sport white wingbars. I saw three of these birds hunting insects in my yard yesterday. This one was using a metal arbor for his perch.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Photo was captured in heavily overcast skies at about 5:00 pm.

Canon 60D
Canon 70-300 IS USM @ 225mm
f/5.6
1/250 sec.
ISO 2000
Hand Held

Processed in ACR and PSE 2020 for exposure, sharpness, and cropping. Topaz De-noise applied.

Typical flycatcher behavior, Terry. We had a hatch of some little flies a few days ago and I watched a Rufous Hummingbird doing just about the same thing, though it wasn’t so dedicated about returning to exactly the same perch.

It looks as if your focus was a bit off on this one. I’m not sure, but it looks as if it might have been on one of those leaves in the upper left as they look to be the sharpest thing in the frame.

I thought it looked a bit soft, Dennis. I posted another photo in which I believe the IQ is better, but doesn’t show as much of the bird. Thanks

HI Terry
It’s their union, they only provide closeups and proper head turn, when you are not looking. Have fun photographing these Flycatchers. I think you are on to something here.
Peer

1 Like

Definitely sharper and with nicer eye contact in the second pose, Terry.

1 Like