Empty beach

I must admit that I have not yet included negative space deliberately when composing images. I hope that this week´s challenge will give a lot of inspiring examples of this artistic approach.

This is the beach close to my weekend cottage, the beach is situated at the south coast of Sweden. I have tried to include a negative space in the normal meaning, but also tried to make the space negative in the sense that it signals that there could be an imminent danger.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any comments are welcome!

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
320 sec, f/18, ISO 64, 24 mm equiv., 10 stop neutral density filter

2 Likes

A wonderfully moody image!

This looks like a wonderful place. The long exposure is nice in the photo and the BW help simplify the photo and emphasize the negative space. Interesting how the angle of the clouds and the shoreline mirror each other. You might remove the dark spot in the lower left corner.

Ola, the black/white, along with the empty pier, make this feel very lonely, at least for me. The softness of the clouds, sand and water don’t strike me as if danger is coming. Just a thought, if you increased the contrast perhaps that might add some intensity and therefore a more dangerous feel? Great image that makes me wish I was there walking along the beach.

Interesting composition (interesting in a good way). At first glance, the pier looks like a mound of something rising out of the sand - it didn’t look like a pier to me. You succeeded with the ominous feeling, by emphasizing that dark cloud and using muted tonality. Well done.

Fascinating image. It’s one of the best I’ve seen here at NPN in quite some time. The image is full of questions and meaning. It is to me. The pier starts out with good texture, then grows lighter, and then dark. Why. The two posts at the end suggest a destination. The water and beach have similar tonality so that the boundary is not distinct. The sky is light except over the pier where it is dark. The pier is shoved all the way to the left. And finally the footprints. An observer. They don’t go to the pier but along it.

Perhaps I’m reading something which was never meant to be. But the image is definitely intriguing and has the quality of exceptional photographers.

1 Like

I do love the lines here. Initially it feels like you have two separate halves contrasting against each other (tonally and in terms of how “busy” the bottom is), but I think the blurred clouds add just enough horizontal movement to tie the top nicely to the bottom and its own lines. Lovely shot.

Ola, the moody feeling that you’ve created here is excellent. The sharp pier and the blurred clouds contrast wonderfully, while the emptiness on the right adds tension.

@linda_mellor, @Bonnie_Lampley, @Igor_Doncov, @Ronald_Murphy, @Mark_Seaver, @Max_Waugh and @Chris_Baird thanks for your kind comments.