Enjoying the View at 14000 Feet

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

Have you ever been to the Rocky Mountain National Park? If you have, you would recognize this view at the highest point reachable by road. Although it appears that this couple is at the very edge of the cliff, there is still room before the rock ledge ends. Would you be so brave? I was not.

1 Like

This looks like the Lava Cliffs Overlook, Ray. I’m not sure why they’re looking back, it would seem like they would be enjoying the view of the Big Thompson Canyon, but their looking back adds some intrigue to the image. It does seem like there’s too much yellow in the foreground rocks.

Mark, thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately, I don’t remember the color of the foreground lava rock. Is it yellow, just less intense? I will wait for your reply before I make the changes.

I went ahead and gave it a try. How is the color now?

Hi Ray,

This really is an intriguing image with both of them looking at something worthy of their attention.
It adds mystery because it makes me wonder, what the heck are they looking at? :slight_smile:
I like how her hair is showing how windy it is, he doesn’t have enough hair to help convey that :roll_eyes:

Beyond the human element, the environment they’re in is pretty awesome and the cloud action is great!

The color does look a bit too saturated and maybe a bit too much contrast (on the whole image, not just the boulders in the FG) but only in my humble opinion.
Keep in mind that, color, contrast and saturation is a personal preference, it’s subjective.
So the main thing is this: Are YOU happy with the colors, saturation and contrast?
In the end, that’s all that matters.

When we offer suggestions for change or improvement, it’s just something for you to consider, it is your image after all :slight_smile:

BTW, I really like the rework :slight_smile: I like the original too!

Thank you for your insights. I agree that the saturation is on the heavy side and the contrast may be a bit too much. I may take another stab at the RAW file in the near future.