Failure

I’m not sure this is the correct forum, but I can’t think of any other that fits better. Back in the spring I posted an image of an American Kestrel on our Kestrel nest box. They were there for a long time, but we never saw any fledglings and one day the adults disappeared. Monday we decided it was time to check and clean the nest box and we found these four eggs and a few feathers. No signs of predation, the eggs just didn’t hatch for some reason and the adults were around more than long enough that they should have. I removed the eggs from the box along with a couple of the feathers and put them in the grass in the late evening light to photograph.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Anything. I used the healing brush to remove a few really distracting bright pieces of grass.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Anything.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

5DIII, EF180f/3.5 macro, tripod, f/32, 1/15, iso 1000, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. Slight crop from both sides. Taken on September 2nd at 7:21 PM.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Beautiful light and well framed image to my eye. This does tell a somewhat sad story, doesn’t it? The “feel” of the image based on color palette and pine straw suggests a autumnal season. But what bird species would hatch eggs in the fall (betraying my ignorance of bird biology here!)? I think this image is very well displayed, but poses questions that I can’t answer. While not every image must tell a story, the intentional placement of the feather, and eggs begs for one to be told.

My only nit is the sharp edged shadow on the lowest placed and right most eggs…most noticeable on the lowest placed egg and catches the eye a bit, but not a deal breaker at all. Gorgeous image. I’m looking forward to others thoughts/perspective. Thanks for sharing.

A sad story, indeed, whatever the story that made these Kestrel eggs not to hatch. I love the way the light is shining across them, and through the one feather that is sticking up above the eggs. Well seen and captured. Maybe next year they will come back and we will see photos that you have taken of the young.