Fall at Bosque Del Apache

What technical feedback would you like if any? Wish the crane was not flying away at a slight angle.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

LLC - Tree. I toned it down as the fall colors were pretty bold. If you’ve been to Bosque, you know that tree!!

Someday, we’ll all be able to get back to the special place that provides us some peace. This is a place that does just that for me. Stay Safe.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

Olympus EM1-X, 300mm f/4 with 1.4x TC
1/1000 @ f/5.6, ISO 400
Cropped from the top

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

Hi Keith
That is one pretty Sandhill Crane, by toning down the background the Crane really pops. The color and detail look great. Nice work.
Peter

Keith, this is really a great shot of the crane. It is a must see in the larger version. I have not had the opportunity to go there, but maybe one day. Excellent shot, and I do like the more of a panoramic format for this. :+1: :+1:

The distinctive colors give away the location, and yes, that tree is easy to recognize.

From your comment I take it that the refuge is closed now out of caution for the coronavirus?

I’ve always wondered what the refuge is like in other seasons. I assume since you live close you visit at other times of the year?

I don’t know if the refuge is closed or not. The State of New Mexico is under Stay at Home orders (which I COMPLETELY agree with), so I wouldn’t even think of driving there even if I were to be socially distanced from anyone who might be there.

I have been there in all of the seasons. Winter is still my favorite. Summer is very hot and buggy around the water features. Spring is very quiet. Fall is beautiful with the change of colors.

I seriously rate this image. The bird is so sharp and you have exactly the right moment to catch the character of its flight. The deeper colour of the background both contrasts and complements the bird’s colouring and has just the right amount of blur so you get a sense of where the bird is but yet the eye is not distracted. I like your aspect ratio and placement of the bird. Nailed, in other words! Thank you.

Nice job on toning down the tree, Keith. It makes the color palette work very well. A lovely image.

Got to love that light. I do recall that tree; a memorable trip it was. Beautiful look at the crane.