Family Gathering

It was starting to get dark and I have been trying to get these birds for most of the time I was out but they were too far away. I was able to catch this right before I was leaving. I love this creatures and taking pictures of them.

Specific Feedback Requested

Looking for feedback on if there is something I could have done better with this picture. How is the composition? Coloring?

Technical Details

This was processed in Lightroom and Topaz. ISO = 32000, shutter = 1/125 and F6.3

Hi Lynette, I like the concept of this photo and I think the colors are well handled. You seemed to have taken care of the very high iso nicely. My only problem is I get lost in the reflection and the birds’ heads are hard to make out against the background. Perhaps if you had been a little higher, that would been a better perspective. I do commend you on trying to capture this interesting scene

Hi Lynette,

I really like the colors here, the color contrast of the cool birds and the warm plants behind them is nice. It looks like you pushed the clarity slider on this one, which I don’t think is benefitting the scene. It is making it feel a bit too crunchy where a smoother, softer look would complement the subject matter more. You could also darken the top edge of the frame, the stuff behind the warm grasses a bit. I think everything else works nice. I love the reflection and the out of focus stuff on the surface. You could even crop in more just to show that maybe.

Hope this is helpful!

Your friend,
Eric