Fanes Group

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

I like B&W, so I used a monochrome camera.

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Image Description

My favourite group in the Italian Dolomites. Formed about 250 million years ago from coral reefs and atolls, pushed up by the collision of the African and European tectonic plates, the peaks reach up to 3000 m, surrounded by gentle grasslands on the eroded rubble.

Technical Details

Leica Monochrom 1, Zeiss Biogon-C 2.8/35 ZM Orange filter.

2 Likes

Jaapv,

Excellent b&w landscapte! Literally my first impression is excellent tonal range and how this would print beautifully in that traditional darkroom and printing process. From my old camera club days when many had their own darkrooms and printing… and to the concept or “rule” of good prints to have “white whites and black blacks.” This just has great contrast and tonal range.

Secondarily goes to the range and subject itself. You were blessed with terrific clouds and lighting ; the variable light across the landscape works beautifully - especially on the peaks.

I think regarding the chair lift - I’m a bit ambivalent. On the one hand, it’s part of the landscape and adds a story-telling element to the region that you’re photographing. On the other hand, as one of the most “favorite peaks in the Dolomites,” a view of the peaks with the human element might be enjoyed more - especially as a print. But in the end, it’s presences is purposeful and adds an engaging element.

Thanks for sharing!
Lon

Thank you for your kind words, Lon. I take no credit for the quality of the B&W. I am privileged to have a dedicated monochrome camera, it makes all the difference. :grinning:
I felt the same as you do about the chairlift, in the end I decided to leave stand; it does, as you say, add context. The deciding factor was that I dislike altering subjects. I will certainly make a A3+ Baryta print. It will be as good as a darkroom one. I am considering a bit of split toning.