Fantastic Voyage

This is a favorite of mine from northern Minnesota. For me, the little sunstar in the middle is the icing on the cake, and the object that everything else points to. I’m no sunstar expert, but I usually just set a small aperture and make sure the sun is touching the edge of something on at least one side (ideally all sides, like when shining through trees).

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any and all

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any and all

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
ISO 50, 16mm, f/22, 0.5 sec

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

@brentgoesoutsidephoto

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
2 Likes

Brent, I agree, there’s a fine “zoom” effect from the sunstar and island to the leafy frame. In my (also very limited) experience with sunstars, it seems like the harder the edge the clearer the star. I have a couple of shots with the sun coming through trees that didn’t turn out well, unlike this view… :man_shrugging:

Nice image,Brent. Love the frame you’ve created with the foliage and trees. The FG flowers add some extra pop. No :vulcan_salute:critiques from me.

Wow! Great image here. Superb framing with the leaves. They also serve as leading lines pointing towards the island. Great light- I assume this is dawn? The calm water and sky don’t take away from that starburst. Nice work!

Brent, I love this shot! Shooting from a 'hidden" point of view and the framing works beautifully. Even without the sunstar this is a winner! I see why it is a favorite of yours!

Thanks all! @Marc_McCann this is actually a sunset on a calm evening.

Definitely a very pleasing image, Brent. I like the fact that the clouds are concentrated “in the frame” and does not interfere with the leaves. Very well done.

1 Like

I usually don’t like images framed by vegetation, but this one looks great and really works. It does provide a zoom effect. No nits here, beautiful.

1 Like

Brent,

Fantastic image. The framing here is awesome - almost too perfect! and then topped off with the sun star thru the trees and island, priceless.

No nits or suggestions. Love it.

Lon

1 Like

Brent, I missed this image earlier. This is exceptional with the natural framing of the foliage. And as you put it, the sunstar or burst in the middle was the icing on the cake…Excellent…:sunglasses:

1 Like

What a gorgeous image Brent. The “radial” flow of your composition is just so powerful. It’s the small touches like the sunstar and the foreground flowers that make this a winner to me. A finely crafted composition, i think you have incorporated just the right amount of framing elements. This a really strong image, nicely done.

1 Like