Female American Wigeon

Most places where you can shoot waterfowl, the water level is significantly below anywhere you can get to shoot from. In the spring of 2019 an ex-NPN member from Portland, OR introduced David Schoen and I to a couple of parks in that city where the paths came right down to water level and there was adequate room to lie down. We spent a morning down there and I almost destroyed my back, but it was really cool to be able to get such low angles. The ducks were fed by visitors and totally habituated, so you could get really close shots as well.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Anything.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Anything.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

7DII, Sigma 150-600 C @ 435 mm, hand held lying prone on the ground, f/8, 1/2000, iso 800, aperture priority, -1 1/3 EV. Processed in LR & PS CC. Cropped to 4585x2859. Taken at 10:57am on March 5, 2019.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Dennis, the duck looks great. The reflections in the water add well to a peaceful scene.

1 Like

Good morning Dennis, The detail in the duck is spot on. I love the point of view and wish I had an area like yours near me for photographing waterfowl. Thank you for sharing.

Beautiful duck Dennis. I like how you’ve isolated the duck from the water. Really helps to make the duck pop out at you. Very nicely seen and executed.

1 Like

A beautiful duck, and captured so nicely, Dennis. The low POV really made the shot. I know what you mean though about the back. I get my mind on shooting and some how forget about my back until it reminds, by then it is too late. I have to go to the chiropractor and get adjusted. This is really an excellent image.

Superb brown and green tones. Well composed. wonderful mirroring of plumage and water tones.
When the ducks start wearing masks, I say we go back there.